1. If we lag behind other nations in economy, we will be thrown into a passive position. 如果我们在经济上落后于其他国家，我们就会陷于被动。
2. Alas, I fear the artillery must lag behind, but not I trust for long. 唉！我担心炮兵一定要落后，但是我相信他们不会落后得太久。
3. We must achieve modernization of science and technology, otherwise we will lag behind other nations. 我们必须实现科学技术现代化，否则我们要落后于其他国家。
1. the act of slowing down or falling behind
2. the time between one event, process, or period and another
3. one of several thin slats of wood forming the sides of a barrel or bucket v.
1. hang (back) or fall (behind) in movement, progress, development, etc.
2. lock up or confine, in or as in a jail
3. throw or pitch at a mark, as with coins
4. cover with lagging to prevent heat loss