substitute ['sʌbstitju:t, -tu:t]
1. We had to eat some potatoes substitute
d as a meal.
2. Are cosmetics the substitute
3. Although life imprisonment is a better substitute
for the death penalty sentence.
1. a person or thing that takes or can take the place of another
2. an athlete who plays only when a starter on the team is replaced
3. someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult)
1. put in the place of another; switch seemingly equivalent items
2. be a substitute
3. act as a substitute
1. being a replacement or substitute for a regular member of a team
2. capable of substituting in any of several positions on a team
3. artificial and inferior
Copyright @ 2005-2013 可可英语 京ICP备11028623号