1. We had to eat some potatoes substituted as a meal. 我们只得吃了几个马铃薯充饥。
2. Are cosmetics the substitute of beauty? 化妆品真是美丽的替代品？
3. Although life imprisonment is a better substitute for the death penalty sentence. 虽然无期徒刑是一种代替死刑的比较好的刑罚。
1. a person or thing that takes or can take the place of another
2. an athlete who plays only when a starter on the team is replaced
3. someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult) v.
1. put in the place of another; switch seemingly equivalent items
2. be a substitute
3. act as a substitute adj.
1. being a replacement or substitute for a regular member of a team
2. capable of substituting in any of several positions on a team
3. artificial and inferior